Car Insurance For Learner Drivers

Learner Drivers Car InsuranceEssentially, a short term learner driver car insurance policy will cover the car the learner uses with the car owner’s consent, but since there is so little information and so much confusion about this subject, a learner may struggle to get regular car insurance. This is a significant challenge because they only have a provisional license and not a full driving license.

Although a few companies may accept the learner driver, they will only offer expensive quotes because they will regard someone with a provisional driving license as a high risk. Meanwhile, all the learner really wants is to practice driving a car rather than assume an annual car insurance policy. In fact, all the learner needs is some kind of temporary insurance that will cover the cost of the car while they are learning to drive it. Learners neither want nor need to be tied to an annual insurance policy and they are often surprised to learn after they have transitioned from a provisional to a full license that their premiums will not go down.

When a person has a provisional license, it’s much better to simply get short term car insurance. Since this car is in the insurer’s own name, an accident will not affect the car owner’s own insurance record. So, for example, if the learner is a young man driving his mother’s car, her insurance record will not be affected if he has an accident. Another advantage this type of temporary insurance has is that it can be cancelled or renewed without any problems.

Professional Driving School Vs Private Driving Lessons

It’s important to note that learner driver’s insurance is mandatory for anyone who is having private driving lessons. Conversely, a professional driving school will have insurance for all their students and will not require each student to have their own insurance.

The reason why someone learning to drive a car does not simply learn under the umbrella of a professional driving school is an economic one. It costs about £1000 or more to get coached by a professional instructor and sometimes it is simply more cost effective to get supplemental learning from a friend or family member, usually a parent or older sibling. But while these additional lessons to master the skill of driving may be free, they do require the learner to have insurance for the car they’re driving. Although the car owner may have sufficient insurance, this is rare. Usually another insurance policy is necessary to cover the high risk of an inexperienced driver. Even if the car owner has comprehensive insurance, it may not be enough to cover any claims in the event of a car accident.

Besides the risk of not having enough cover, a car owner also risks having the car confiscated by the police if the learner is caught driving with no insurance policy of their own. Moreover, the learner could get penalty points before they even get their full driving license.

Summary of Learner Car Insurance Facts

Since there is so little accurate information on the topic of learner car insurance and consequently so much confusion, here is a brief list of things to remember:

  • A learner must be insured before driving a car during a private lesson. The lesson in the privately owned car has to have dedicated cover.
  • A learner does not need to be insured if driving under the supervision of a professional driving instructor because the driving school has acquired the necessary cover.
  • Although the car owner may have fully comprehensive insurance, it does not offer cover for a learner. A separate insurance is required.
  • Third part is the minimum cover that is necessary.
  • A car insurance company is unlikely to assume the high risk of adding a learner driver to a parent’s car insurance.
  • The ideal solution is to get a relatively inexpensive learner drivers car insurance policy under the student driver’s own name. This will also allow the student driver to use any car for the private lessons.
  • In the UK, a person has to be at least 17 years of age to obtain a provisional license before driving a car or riding a motorcycle