French Breakdown Cover

Breakdown Cover FranceIf you are planning a trip to a foreign country such as France, you most likely will not want to experience a break down of your vehicle in such a place where you are not familiar with the local language.

This is why it is of even greater importance to look into your options for United Kingdom breakdown cover when you are traveling overseas in places such as France. This guide will provide information regarding breakdown cover in France, as well as additional information on the road rules of France that you will have to abide by for your safety and the safety of other drivers.

Breakdown cover in Europe

The majority of breakdown companies that exist in the United Kingdom will let you add insurance for European driving to your existing insurance policy if you are willing to pay an additional one off extra fee. However, if you are already registered with a high end, top of the range insurance policy, it may be a good idea to check first to see if you already have some kind of Europe coverage so you will be prepared to take your vehicle to Europe.

However, even the services related to breakdown and rescuing people with car trouble are different when you travel to France. As an example, most of the motorways in France are privately managed. As a result, you are not allowed to call a breakdown company to assist you while you are on such motorways. Rather, if you do experience a break down on a motorway in France, you should call one of the assigned emergency numbers described below:

  • Locate your emergency phone, if you have one, and activate it. It will place a call to the French police, who can then send help to your location.
  • Alternatively, you can dial 17 from a public phone on the motorway or dial 112 if you have a mobile phone handy.

Once you have received emergency assistance to tow you away from the French motorway, you can then place a call to your breakdown company, which will then be allowed to provide you with additional assistance.

What do you need to do at your vehicle if you experience a break down in France?
According to French transportation law, you must carry both a high visibility fluorescent vest and a warning safety triangle with you in your vehicle while traveling on French roads. You will need to perform the following procedures before you are allowed to call for a breakdown company:

  • First, stop your vehicle in a safe location that is some distance from traffic if you can.
  • Next, wear your fluorescent high visibility jacket so other vehicles will see you
  • Next, place your warning triangle behind your vehicle. If you are on a French road that is not a motorway, the triangle should be placed 30 meters behind your vehicle. If you are on a motorway, this distance should be extended to 100 meters.
  • Finally, move your passengers, if you have any, as well as yourself several meters away from passing traffic for safety.

What do you need to do if you experience an accident while travelling in France?
If you experience an accident while you are travelling on roads in France, you will need to contact your breakdown insurance company, as they will have instructions for the recovery and repair of your vehicle.

How can you make sure you get the best deals on breakdown cover while travelling in France?

To get the best deals on breakdown cover while travelling in France, the first thing you will need to do, as described above, is check your current breakdown insurance policy to see if you are already covered for travel in Europe and elsewhere abroad. There are certain policies that will offer you some days of cover in Europe, but you may have to pay more money for additional breakdown cover.